Drum Lessons Sydney
☆☆☆☆☆ "Claudio helped me build the confidence I needed to become a professional drummer. After a few months improving my techniques from his lessons, I signed a contract to play on a cruise ship in Europe..." Geison Costa ☆☆☆☆☆ "Returning to drum tuition with Claudio at Drum Lessons Sydney has given me the ability to eliminate bad habits and rebuild my skills from the ground up. I am now practicing daily and my coordination..." Travis Joyce ☆☆☆☆☆ "I had Claudio as my teacher for almost two years. He taught me more things in a year than I learned in the 4 previous years of training. My coordination and understanding about rhythms increased..." Alex Garnier
Creating Drummers Since 1994
From kids to adults, one-on-one drum lessons tailored for you to achieve your full potential based on customised practice, playing songs of your choice.
Learn how to play any music genres creatively, including Rock, Funk, Metal, Blues, Indie, Jazz, Soul, Jungle, R&B, Reggae, Disco, Pop, Latin and Fusion, from a friendly, patient and passionate drum tutor with more than 20 years of teaching experience who will always take into consideration your learning style.
With the effective Drum Lessons Sydney step-by-step methodology it's guaranteed that all beginners learn how to play, and that intermediate drummers improve the way they approach their traditional study methods.
Experience a sound-treated music studio equipped with two quality drum kits, air conditioning, PA and Wi-Fi.
Private beginner to advanced drum lessons cover:
✓ Stick Control
✓ Hand and foot techniques
✓ Learn drum music theory the easy way
✓ Or try some of the hundreds of songs we'll suggest
✓ Develop a vocabulary of fills
✓ Rock, Funk, Blues, Latin, Reggae, Jazz, Metal and more
✓ Limiteless patterns combinations
✓ Impress other musicians in any audition
✓ Measure your improvement
✓ Play like your idols
✓ Adapt to any musical genre
✓ Make your audience dance or headbang
✓ Groove like a pro
✓ Construct linear grooves
✓ Jam block
✓ Cooperative training of non-dominant limbs
✓ Open-handed possibilities
✓ Elimination of weaknesses
Some live acts from 2016
Most recent testimonialB. K.'s son had 6 lessons in another music school in Caringbah. This is the message she sent to us after his trial lesson in April '17:
"Thanks Claudio, you are very supportive and an awesome teacher. It's the first lesson he really got any skill from.
Thanks so much as he is super enthusiastic."
Behind the Drums
"My belief in my students leads me to challenge them, and when I treat them as what they are capable of becoming, I help them become that."
Claudio Reis, the founder of Drum Lessons Sydney in the Sutherland Shire, has been in the music scene for almost 3 decades performing with corporate bands and live shows in all major music styles.
Whether performing on stage or teaching, his passion for music and drumming is the driving force behind his success as a teacher and professional musician.
Over 20 Years of Teaching and Performing Experience
Claudio started giving drum lessons 23 years ago, haven't stopped since, and plan to continue for many more years. Teaching drums is not something he does "on the side."
Claudio has taught students aged 3 to 70, all styles and all levels, always balancing technical and practical work.
Almost 30 Years of Performing Experience
• Co-founder and drummer for the corporate band Partysonic.
• Drummer for the 5-star wedding band Tentrix.
• Drummer for the background band of the Brazilian Latin Dance Company show.
• Local and international live acts:
- Non Stop Party Band, Twilight, Skyscraper, Mr. Bug, Duo Trio, Hypersonic, and Brazilian Latin Groove, covering the major music styles;
- tribute bands Dream Theater, Metallica, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, Alanis Morrisette and Elvisback;
- and cover bands with huge set lists including Muse, Maroon 5, Blink182, AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Journey, RHCP, Van Halen, INXS, Green Day, KC, EWF, Jamiroquai, Beatles, Coldplay, CCR, Queen, Santana, MJ and so on.
• At the age of 20 Claudio was unanimously voted the best drummer in a 2-day music festival.
• Four years later, his former pop band New Jersey was elected the best band in the English Culture Festival of Brazil.
• Claudio was the drummer chosen to help compose and to record the CD T.V.lization for the band Skyscraper, mastering the complexity and challenging speed of their songs.
Methods he studied
- Fundamentals, stick control, rudiments, techniques, dynamics, grooves and fills from private drum lessons.
- Carmine Appice drum methods.
Carmine Appice literally wrote the book on rock drumming, has received many Lifetime Achievement awards from the music industry, and influenced young John Bonham.
- Joe Morello and Gary Chaffee methods.
- Duda Neves method for Brazilian rhythms.
- Double Bass Drum techniques from the best international drummer in NY 2003.
- Attended master classes of Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, Winery Dogs), Will Calhoun (Living Colour), Sonny Emory (EWF), Marco Minnemann, Tony Royster Jnr, Virgil Donati, Vera Figueiredo, Charles Gavin (Titas), Ivan Busic (Dr Sin) and Duda Neves.
Work With Children Check: WWC1051522E.
Sutherland Shire Drum Studio
Private and acoustically treated drum studio in Caringbah NSW equipped with two quality drum kits, PA, air-conditioning and Wi-Fi.
Play along with your favourite tracks or backing tracks.
One of our accoustic drum kits is now equiped with Remo Silenceheads and Zildjan Perfurated Cymbals, which vastly reduces the decibel levels when compared to a normal drum kit. This high decibel neat solution eliminates the annoying need of hearing protection during lessons or training and the chances of hearing loss.
Pegada Drum Method
With the desire to share his extended knowledge acquired in almost 30 years of drumming, Claudio put together a 200 page skills development system taking into consideration the feedback of his own students, tutors and colleagues, combined with evidence based teaching strategies.
Pegada is a 4-part step-by-step drum method that guarantees all beginners learn how to play, and transforms the way intermediate drummers approach their traditional study methods to rebuild their skills from the ground up.
"If Pegada Drum Method was available in music shops it would be by far my favourite option."
In conjunction with the instructions in the book, Claudio will:
✓ follow a program according to your individual pace;
✓ teach you how to play your favourite songs;
✓ suggest songs for you to learn;
✓ give you frequent, imediate and detailed feedback;
✓ answer your questions;
✓ and, most importantly, correct your technique.
Contact & Rates
- New students only.
- Only 1 gift card is allowed per student.
- All Gift Cards have 3 or 6 months expire date.
- Gift Cards are not physical cards. An image of a personalised Gift Card will be sent to the buyer via email.
- Lessons will be booked based on tutor's and studio's availability.
- Gift Cards can only be exchanged for lessons, they are not exchangeable for money or anything else.
- Refunds are not accepted after the card's expire date.
- If the Gift Card value was based on the price of lessons at the tutor's music studio, but the student requires the lessons to be in another site, an extra amount will be charged to cover the tutor's travel costs.
- Gift Cards do not include a copy of the book or drumsticks. Those can be added to the gift card upon buyer's request and payment.
Click the buttons bellow to enquire about specific weekly passes.
- 30 min trial: $40
- 60 min trial: $60
- Full refund if you are not satisfied
Try our methodology in a professional studio;
Chat with the tutor;
And find out if this is what you are looking for.
- Drum kit with cymbals provided
- Sound-treated drum studio
- Wi-Fi and air conditioning
30 min: $15 or 60 min: $20
60 min: $40 (sticks $10)
Other services we do: drum kit set up, re-skinning, and tuning.
Why do we charge for the trial lesson?
Our students come from: Sutherland Shire (Caringbah, Taren Point, Sylvania, Sylvania Waters, Gymea, Jannali, Kirrawee, Cronulla, Miranda, Sutherland, Menai, Engadine), St. George Area (Brighton-Le-Sands, Sans Souci, Hurstville, Kogarah, Rockdale), Redfern, Surry Hills, Newtown, Eastern Suburbs (Paddington, Maroubra, Randwick) and CBD.
"Rebuilding my skills from the ground up..."
☆ Travis is now the official drummer for the Springsteen tribute band Glory Days - The Boss Experience.
"Helped me build confidence..."
☆ Geison worked for Pullmantur Cruises from 2006 to 2012 and Royal Caribbean in 2011, traveling to more than 20 countries in Europe, Africa and Asia.
☆ Geison was one of the five finalists of the main Brazilian drummers contest (BATUKA) in 2004.
"Claudio is showing rigour and patience..."
"So stoked I found this guy..."
"Fun mixed to serious and methodical..."
"Claudio is a great teacher..."
"Having a ball learning to play..." Sharon Ghosn
"I chose Claudio as my tutor after..." Dennis Szarzynski
"I will never forget the way you play..." Tomoaki Sato
"It has been 4 years and counting..." Nathan E.
"Claudio is teaching me to love drums..." Kathryn
"The right fundamental exercises and..." Antony
"I can tell how organised his method is..." Allan
"Realised he was the best teacher for me..." Clare
Become a member of our drumming family today.
Get in touch and let's organise your first private lesson now!